Comfort in your own skin

We all worry from time to time how we look or what others may think of us (but if you don't then go you!) but how can those who do worry overcome this and feel comfortable in their own skin?

The question most people often ask is 'How can I overcome worrying about the things around me and make  me feel insecure?' Or 'Why cant I just get up out of bed and leave the house without putting a full face of makeup on?'

True, we all want to feel pretty, presentable or even liked. The thing is... you are. The only thing stopping you from realizing it is you.

Have you ever said to someone 'excuse how I look' and they've said 'Don't be silly you always look amazing!'... true again, we think its fake and we think they are lying or just saying it to make us feel better, even if the person is close to us! So why is that? You may also feel that older ones or parents don't have a clue and that you are 'always beautiful in their eyes' which again is true.

So here it is, my first Be You post that's not a review. I'm going to be answering all your questions and your queries and helping you to BE YOU.

Whether you like it or not sadly we are our own obstacles, no one else can choose how we feel, so take control!

Firstly, imagine you have everything you want in life, it may be a fancy car, a million pounds or just a happy life, will that help you feel comfort in your own skin? Quite often people would say no as insecurity is a personal matter and the things around you cannot always help the things you feel inside. So, you have to mentally overcome this situation.

So this is what I have decided to do! I have decided to help you mentally overcome your physical insecurities.

Its not about how much money you have, how good you are at makeup or how well you hide your feelings. Its all about getting you to a stage where you can say 'I'm happy to be who I am and what I look like'.

Now clearly, this is no overnight process so what you are about to read will take time, but in order to achieve the result you must take it seriously otherwise you will maintain how you are feeling now or it will have a reverse effect and you will feel hopeless.

Try to apply the following 5 steps in stages. For example one week apply stage one all week, the following week add stage 2 and so forth... Make sense? Great!

Step 1 - Be Positive

It can be difficult to be positive when things feel or are going so negatively. However, this is the first step you need to overcome, you need to push yourself to see the best outcome in each and every situation. For example instead of saying 'Urg I hate the way I look today' say 'I Look good today'. You may be thinking 'well how does that work if I genuinely feel I look bad' now there it is... another negative thought. EVERYTHING  needs to be positive, you need to train your mind to think of the positive in all situations.

How can thinking positive help? Positive thinking is a huge health benefit. It sends chemical signals to not only yourself but others around you. A positive mind attracts positive things and positive things help reduce stress.

So, why not create a gratitude list? Go ahead, write down all the things you are greatful for and all the things you wish too  will achieve within the next few months.

Step 2 - Be On Guard 

The second thing to work on is to observe your surroundings. Ask yourself: Do I surround myself with people who make me feel good or do I surround myself with those who make me feel down? Do I regularly find myself in situations that I wish I could change?

If your answer to either of these questions is yes then you must be on guard! So what do I mean by 'be on guard' ? This means heighten your awareness. The situations you put yourself in or the people you surround yourself with is down to you and your choices. So, be on guard and take control.

So what if you didn't say yes to the questions above but you go out and come home still feeling low or worried about something you may of said ? Then this is where step 3 is for you!

Step 3 - Be In Control 

As we said at the start, your only limitation is you. So you must take control. Step 1 of this blog ties in nicely with this. If you have mastered step 1 then this will be easy.

You need to be in control of your thoughts and feelings. How? now this is down to you. Only you know what your distractions are and quite often your triggers of making you feel angry or low. Those who don't know their triggers, then that is a whole new situation that will need to be considered all together.

If possible try to speak to someone, be in control and act! Your health and your comfort is important. Remember you are important.

Now if you're reading this you want some sort of help. Firstly, well done! This is a form of being in control, you are acting on how you are feeling in order to make a change and I can assure you, you are heading in the right direction.

Being in control doesn't just mean your thoughts and feelings. It means being in control of your daily life and routine. So if you're fed up of your daily routine, ask yourself ' Why am I still in this routine when it is stressful or doesn't make me feel good?'. You have nothing to lose by experimenting different patterns of daily lifestyle routines! So be in control of what you do on a day to day basis and only do things that make you happy!

True, we all have to work or go to school so we cant change that, but what you can change is how you feel about it. Be in control of your attitude towards it.

Some things that helped me were changing my exercise routine, sleeping pattern and eating habits. Genuinely, a regular routine of more exercise, more sleep and a better eating habit changed my outlook on a lot of things, enabling me to feel good.

So what if exercise isn't for you? Find something you love and apply it in your daily life, whether it be study, a hobby, or a spiritual routine then apply it daily.

Step 4 - Be Balanced 

As previously mentioned we don't want to over do it. So never push yourself!! Gradually work towards your goals and remember that this is not an over night process, take things one step at a time.

Step 5 - Be You 

Now its time to BE YOU! Don't hold back on being yourself or changing for anyone else, your personality is unique and that is something special. Remember, you can overcome these feelings and be comfortable in your own skin.

Let me know how you get on! If you have any questions then fill in my contact form on this blog or comment below.

You've got this!

Comments

  1. This has helped motivate me to get something done about my feelings. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayyy this is sick saz!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Drop a comment of what you think!

Popular Posts